all images copyright kate levy 2011. all rights reserved. use of images is strictly prohibited without express consent of author.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Generalized Motivation




The GM factory in Ypsilanti has probably never been cleaner. Its pristine condition will allow executives of manufacturing companies to get an objective glance at the coveted machinery born and bred in the big "D" (read big M, for Metro), whose odometer reads 500,000. The buyers will pay the removal fee and have their way with one or more parts to an assembly line to which several hundred people have effectively devoted their entire lives. Push button, robot arm swings forward. Push button, robot arm deposits part. Push button, robot arm returns to initial position. Push button to lower robot arm to refill part. Push button, make pension. Push button, move forward with investments. Push button, buy new home, new car. Push button, deposit in 401k. Push button. Push button. Push button push button. Wait a second...........where did my fucking money go? Push button once and you are guaranteed to push it for the next thirty years without threat of young, tantalizing, sunburned fingers. We never did expect the sun in Michigan, although we always hoped for it. I still do. I went to Holland last year and experienced 70 degree sunshine and windmills in the middle of January.
The auto industry was here to stay. Until it was disemboweled and repackaged to a growing Undustry in India that seems to be doing fine (to be fair, there were men of many differing national origins attending the auction). The sale is slated to bring anywhere from a fuck ton of money if things fall short and an obscene amount of money if things go well. I can't say how much, but I can say it probably wasn't worth it in the grand scheme of things.
The factory floor is wiped clean to accomodate the lone wanderers in suits who click click click Prada shoes to recluse from the cunnilingus of the auctioneers tongue. He's my uncle, the auctioneer. My dad used to be an auctioneer.
No wonder I'm so good at licking pussy, I have begun to joke, to ease my subjects at this recent shoot--the Hilco/Maynard's auction at the Willow Run Plant.
I have never seen business men so laid back.
I'm oversimplifying this. But as usual I'm more interested in the poetry of it.














2 comments:

  1. This weblog is being featured on Five Star Friday: http://www.schmutzie.com/fivestarfriday/2011/5/20/five-star-fridays-150th-edition-is-brought-to-you-by-bertran.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously girl--your instinct for image and language both just *speak* to me.

    ReplyDelete