all images copyright kate levy 2011. all rights reserved. use of images is strictly prohibited without express consent of author.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

inanimate and high

i've taken a bit of a hiatus from blogging, although I've been maintaining a very regular practice of photographing. I'm stuffed full, but this entry should highlight a bit of what I've been working on personally in my photography.

i always find multiple uses for my pictures--thematically, not in terms of generating revenue, that is.

although many of the following were made in conjunction with an ongoing series of alley images (read: kate smokes a bowl and wanders around capitol hill for a few hours with her camera), i think the images elude to trespassing and spying. aside from the fact that some of these images are the product of trespassing, the more i photograph, the less i feel comfortable with people in the frame. hopefully this is a phase. it always feels as though i am trespassing into their energy--i just get so excited, i tend to undress my subject instead of just pulling on their coattail a bit. its always a bit easier to engage with the remnants of humanity, rather than actual bones and blood.
i suppose the images also elaborate on the superfluous and small nature of humanity--but this is not a new concept for me. in fact, my whole diptychs gallery is about just that.




add

2 comments:

  1. "the remnants of humanity, rather than actual bones and blood" I feel like I could eat this description. and the photos are amazingly cool. i keep coming back to the dorito

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygod.

    kate.

    your blog is breathtaking. your photographs, your words--i feel reverent.

    i have not spoken to you in years, but i am hoping that you are well well well. thank you for this space. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete