all images copyright kate levy 2011. all rights reserved. use of images is strictly prohibited without express consent of author.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hi There.

What an adventure! I finally have a blog to record some of it. So I take pictures. What on earth is the purpose of this enticing, exploding art form? There are so many images-bombarding our sense of sight all the while desaturating our senses of smell, touch, taste, sound, when these unsighted factors are often what inspire the photographs we use to internalize our world. Yet I scate (scantily) away with a role in this world  as a superhero where I chase light, turn light into numbers, numbers into pixels, pixels into form, and form into an experience that collaborates defiantly with the moment that induced the light. It's fun as shit. But I cannot define the hero in my superhero status as anything more than connecting unrelated people with people through an abstract emotion that I have cleverly (somehow) construed past the moment of its happening, all through a sexy, hefty machine that makes my biceps big.
So I am driving home from the airport after a flight in from Mackinac after doing some freelance jobs, bitter, invalidated after hundreds of encounters with people who have actually travelled extensively in other countries (not just naively visited for a week--but OH the capability to live anywhere in the world complicates things so much), and my friend says to me, "You know,  I think we can stick it out. I think we can stay in the United States and not just scamper off to another country when shit gets rough because its 'worldly'..easy. Who wouldn't want to leave right now? But really, as an artist, why in the world wouldn't you stay and contribute."
As a "photographer," one of my largest responsibilities is obviously to document. To be quite honest, I have never been one for..well....documentation. Ironically, I see the past as obsolete, not worth dwelling on. I see the future even more so. But then I breathe. And I realize:
We all play a role in society. I have the bombass one of taking pictures which always feels really good regardless of when and where. Its okay to be present in that. The mundane is inevitable and may as well be rejoiced in. The everyday can be shared as it happens.  We all like to see things from a different point of view sometimes. The image's matriculation into the future is an important biproduct.  
So I am dedicating this blog space for the everyday and the extraordinary, to new work and to the understanding that everything is always worth a second look. Whenever there is a new post, check the bottom for a link to a full slideshow of images that corresponds to the preview you will see here. And remember to check my website-www.katelevyphotography.com-often-for updates!
It really boils down to us all experiencing life in the early twenty-first century as Americans.  Rock on. 



Denver, CO. Outside of my where I live in Five Points, the dumpster caught on fire.

Bodega Bay, California. Watching the seals.

Kimmie and Heidi in the car on the way to California. 

Mackinac Island, MI. Shay Mosley and Isiah in front of Fort Mackinac.

Mackinac Island, MI. The soundstage used in the filming of various pictures including Somewhere in Time.

TO SEE THE REST OF THESE IMAGES-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katelevyphotography/sets/72157622274134107/show/

No comments:

Post a Comment