all images copyright kate levy 2011. all rights reserved. use of images is strictly prohibited without express consent of author.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

headless hotel

A bit before I left Denver, I did a fashion spread for 303 Mag's Gentlemen's Issue. The concept was headless photographs in the Hotel Monaco. It was incredibly challenging to use the body to construct a narrative and convey any sort of anything, without the head. I wanted the energy of the model to come across as androgynous, potentiating the question of whether the model was actually a gentleman at all. I also wanted to invoke divine femininity. Didn't really happen. I did however find this sort of Groundhog's Day repetition--the boy wakes up in the hotel room over and over and over, and the same presence of this woman is still there. Is he imagining this, or is his mind playing tricks with him? I suppose shooting in the same two hotel rooms for eight hours would invoke this feeling. Here are some shots, both from what the magazine published and what from I later sold to Hotel Monaco for ah-lohhhht of monay. In retrospect, I would have done the whole spread in B&W if I had had more space from the images from when I shot them. Also, you can see the spread at 303magazine.com in the August Issue.







No comments:

Post a Comment